The Vale of White Horse Lodge has been in existence since 1878 when it was founded in Faringdon. It has regularly met, without interruption, since that year.
It was founded by masons of The Abbey Lodge at Abingdon (No. 945 – founded in 1863), with the support of several other lodges in the area, most notably of The Royal Sussex Lodge of Emulation at Swindon (No. 355 – founded in 1818).
Its consecration and dedication on 31 October 1878 was an event in which great interest was shown by local population with a full account of the proceedings appearing in the local newspaper.
Its first meeting place was in the Faringdon Savings Bank premises, now the Council Offices at the town centre end of Gloucester Street, and the title of the bank can still just be made out on the carved headstone lintel of the door.
Since then meetings have been held in various locations, even in a garage in the Second World War when the present Masonic Hall was requisitioned by the military.
The present Masonic Hall in Gloucester Street was formerly a Methodist Chapel and was purchased in 1921, together with the adjoining three cottages which were very soon after sold off to reduce the debt of the purchase.