We have been asked again if we can provide a team of at least 35-40 marshals for the start of the Reading Half Marathon in Longwater Avenue and Brook Drive. This has proved to be very enjoyable as we are very much involved with the runners at the start, and our contribution is greatly appreciated by the event organisers as it is critical to the success of the marathon that the start process goes without any hitches.
Those who have taken part over the last three years found their involvement really satisfying, and from the banter and comments passed by the runners they really appreciated the time and effort put in to ensuring the start went smoothly.
For those who would like to volunteer, a few facts to help you decide :
- We will assemble in Longwater Avenue on Sunday morning, 17 March, by 7.15am,
- Car parking spaces will be provided in the car park immediately adjacent 100 Longwater Drive, Reading RG2 6GP
- We will be wearing our Freemasonry in the Community high-vis vests,
- Last year we were provided with a meal voucher for use in the hospitality area, it is assumed the same will apply this year,
- After the start process is completed you are either free to go or alternatively ask to be redeployed in the finish area,
- A briefing will also take place on the Saturday, 16 March, for those who can make it, but this is not obligatory.
Your support for this event would be greatly appreciated by the Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master, who will be in attendance, and Tony Lewis, our group organiser