The Provincial Executive 2019-20
ANTHONY HOWLETT-BOLTON OBE
Provincial Grand Master
Anthony was born in 1952 in Buckinghamshire and has two sons, five grandchildren and two dogs. He lives in Chalfont St Peter. He is a keen photographer and gardener and maintains a keen interest in the law – both criminal and civil – as well as International Security and Justice reform.
Anthony spent several years as an International Senior Strategic Security and Justice Advisor with the UK Stabilisation Unit. He gained a first-class BA from the University of Reading and is a Fellow of Chartered Management Institute and The Security Institute.
Anthony was awarded an OBE in 2016 for his work with ex-offenders through the Langley House Trust.
He was installed on 26th February 2018 as The Provincial Grand Master of Berkshire by the MW the Pro Grand Master. Anthony’s progress in Freemasonry was:
- Initiated into Sandhurst Lodge in 1980 but due to work pressures had to resign and re-joined in 2007 and was Master in 2010
- Joined Berkshire Masters in 2011 and held the office of Lodge Mentor in 2014
- Joined the Berkshire Provincial Grand Stewards Lodge in 2012 following his appoint as Steward and held the offices of Junior Deacon & Secretary
- Joined the Sandhurst Royal Arch Chapter in 1983 but, once again due to work pressures had to resign and re-joined in 2008 and was First Principal in 2011. He joined Berkshire First Principals in 2012.
- Joined the Mark degree in 2015 and is a member of Caduceus Lodge of Mark Master Masons. He is also a member of the Antient & Accepted Rite (Rose Croix)
- Provincial Grand Steward 2011
- Provincial Mentor 2014
- Provincial Assistant Grand Master 2015
- Provincial Deputy Grand Master 2016
- Junior Grand Deacon 2016
- Provincial Grand Master 2018
Royal Arch Honours
- Past Grand Sword Bearer of the United Grand Lodge of England 2017
- Provincial Grand Standard Bearer in Berkshire Royal Arch 2014
- Grand Sojourner 2018
Deputy Provincial Grand Master
Peter was born in 1948 and is married to Tina and they have three daughters and, so far two grandchildren. The family home is near Maidenhead. Apart from managing the family business, Peter relaxes by extensive dog walks and looking after the fabric of the house.
Peter has managed the family business in Maidenhead for over 50 years and has taken an active part in the business life of the town. He has been Chair of the local Citizens Advice Bureau, President of the Maidenhead Chamber of Commerce and Chair of the Berkshire Valuation Tribunal. He is also Chairman and Trustee of the Louis Baylis Charitable Trust which owns the Baylis Media Group.
Peter was invested as the Deputy Provincial Grand Master of Berkshire on 26th February 2018 by the new PGM and in the presence of the MW Pro Grand Master. His progress in freemasonry is as follows:
- Initiated into Berries Lodge in 1971 and was Master in 1979 and in its centenary year 2002.
- Exalted into Ellington Chapter in 1978 and was First Principal in 1989 and 1990. Joined Berkshire First Principals in 1991 and was First Principal in 2013
- Advanced into Jersey Mark Lodge in 1974 and was Master in 1985. Founding SW of Linden Acre Mark Lodge in 1981 and was Master in 1985
- Elevated into Jersey Lodge of Royal Ark Mariners in 1979 and was Commander in 1987. Founder of Linden Acre Lodge of Royal Ark Mariners in 1984 and was Commander in 1987. Founder of The Berkshire and Oxfordshire installed Commanders Lodge of Royal Ark Mariners in 1994 and was Commander in 2006
- Is also a member of Rose Croix, Knights Templar, Royal & Select Masters and The Royal Order of Scotland.
- Past Junior Grand Deacon of UGLE
- PPGSN 2008
- PGM of Berkshire Mark 2007-12
- Deputy PGM 2018
Assistant Provincial Grand Master
Julian was born in 1951 and is married to Sara; they have two daughters and several Grandchildren. They live near Bramley in Hampshire. Julian has a keen interest in classic cars – owning several – and plays golf.
Julian has spent his career in property and property development. He had director roles in the house building sector with Berkeley Group; Trident Group; and Barratt Developments. Since 1996 he has had his own town planning and property development consultancy and works across Southern England.
Julian was invested as Assistant Provincial Grand Master on 26th February 2018 by the PGM and in the presence of the MW Pro Grand Master. His progress in Freemasonry is as follows:
- Initiated into Ashley Hill Lodge in 1995 and was Master in 2002 and 2003.
- Joined Berkshire Masters in 2003 and Berkshire Provincial Stewards Lodge in 2004
- Join Aldworth Lodge in 2014 and was Master in 2016
- Joined Berkshire Provincial Grand Stewards in 2004
- Exalted into The Sons of Kendrick Chapter in 2008 and was First Principal in 2015
- Advanced into Jersey Mark Lodge in 1996 and was Master in 2008
- Elevated into Jersey Lodge of Royal Ark Mariners in 1998 and was commander in 2009
- Assistant Provincial Grand Master 2016
- Past Senior Grand Deacon of UGLE 2017
- Past Provincial Grand Master Overseer
- Assistant Provincial Grand Master 2018
Assistant Provincial Grand Master
Robin was born in 1959 and is married to Julie. They live in Reading and have three grown up sons. Robin is also a very active member of The Scout Association and holds adventurous activities permits for mine exploration and climbing. He is a keen church goer and is a Children’s Church and Youth Alpha leader. Robin runs his own marketing and business development consultancy to small and medium businesses, primarily in the technology sector.
Robin was invested as Assistant Provincial Grand Master on 26th February 2018 by the PGM in the presence of the MW Pro Grand Master. His progress in Freemasonry is as follows:
- Initiated into Kennet Lodge in 1985 and was Master in 1996.
- Joined Berkshire Masters Lodge in 1996 and Berkshire Provincial Grand Stewards’ Lodge in 1990 when he was appointed a Provincial Steward.
- Exalted into Charles Nicholl Chapter in 1993 and was first Principal in 2016 and 2017
- Advanced into The Charles Wilkinson Lodge of Mark Master Masons in 1999
- Joined Thames Rose Croix Chapter in 1997 and was MWS in 2000
- Has served as Secretary of Kennet Lodge and Berkshire Masters Lodge, editor of The Link, and Provincial Communications Officer.
- Provincial Junior Grand Warden 2011
- Past Assistant Grand Director of Ceremonies of UGLE 2014
- Assistant Provincial Grand Master 2017
- Past Senior Grand Deacon of UGLE 2018
Provincial Senior Grand Warden
WBro Dean Robert White, who was appointed as the Provincial Senior Grand Warden during the Provincial Grand Lodge meeting in September 2019 and is looking forward to his year in office and visiting as many of the Lodges in the Province as possible.
Dean was initiated into Freemasonry in 2000 into Grey Friars Lodge and was its Worshipful Master in 2006/7.
Some of the highlights of his Masonic career are
Past Provincial Deputy Grand Director of Ceremonies from 2014 to 2019.
Provincial Grand Steward 2012.
Appointed as a Provincial Visiting Lodge Officer from September 2019.
A member of
Berkshire Provincial Grand Stewards’ Lodge No. 9381.
Berkshire Masters Lodge No. 3684.
Grey Friars Lodge No. 1101 a PM and the Royal Arch representative.
Thames Valley Motorcycle Lodge No 9885 as the 1st Worshipful Master and founder member from 2013 and is currently the Treasurer.
Berkshire Lodge of Enlightenment No 9947 a founder member from 2017.
In the Royal Arch
Provincial Asst G Sojourner in 2016.
Currently the Scribe E and Mentor of Union Chapter No 414.
Appointed as the current Provincial Sub-Prior in September 2019.
Commander of the Provincial Prior’s Bodyguard from 2014 to 2019.
Crusaders Preceptory since 2008, and is its current Treasurer.
Member of the Leslie Felgate Dring Preceptory.
Outside Masonry Dean currently runs a Property Company and has a keen interest in firearms, scuba diving and motorcycles. In the former, he is a qualified firearms instructor and Home Office approved RFD in the Thames Valley and Hampshire. A Scuba diving Instructor and Rescue Diver, mixed gas deep wreck specialist. The latter interest is ably evidenced both an extensive collection of vintage BMW motorcycles as well as membership of the Thames Valley Motorcycle Lodge.
Provincial Junior Grand Warden
WBro Sean Trofim Kulan, who has been appointed by the as the Provincial Junior Grand Warden this September, has confirmed that he is delighted at being given this wonderful opportunity and is very much looking forward to the office.
Sean was Initiated into Pangbourne Lodge No. 4381 in October 1997. After reaching the Chair of Pangbourne Lodge No. 4381 in February 2005, Sean remained as IPM for two years and became the Lodge Almoner.
Some highlights in Sean’s Masonic life
- Berkshire Provincial Grand Stewards’ Lodge No. 9381 from January 2008 and held the offices of SD, Almoner and is now currently the JW.
- In 2010 was a member of the applications committee for the Berkshire Masonic Charity and became the Applications Secretary in 2014 and is still holding the office today.
- Berkshire Masters Lodge No. 3684 from February 2012
- Donnington Castle Chapter & Rose Croix No 856 from August 2012
- Appointed a Provincial Deputy Grand Director of Ceremonies at Berkshire Provincial Grand Lodge in September 2012, holding the office for 6 years.
- A Founder Member of the Constructors Lodge No. 9947 in February 2017 and is currently JW.
- A member of Martin Chapter No. 3202.
- Caduceus Lodge of Mark Master Masons No. 1631 from September 2017.
Outside Freemasonry, Sean enjoys spending time with his wife Jayne of 43 years; his daughter Sabrina and son Sean and their partners; plus his two grandchildren Rory and Jenson. Sean also enjoys going on cruises with his wife and their friends.
Sean has had connections with Freemasonry since he was 21, when he found out that his father-in-law was a freemason in Great Queens Street in London, where he attended his father-in-law’s Pen and Brush Lodge No. 2909 Lady’s Festival on many occasions.
Sean has an Irish mother and Belarusian father. It has been a very long story of Sean finding his long-lost family in Belarus, which he is more than happy to tell, if asked.
Provincial Grand Secretary
WBro Laurence Fretwell, from Khalsa Lodge No. 9743, has been appointed Provincial Grand Secretary this September.
Laurence was initiated into Freemasonry in Epping Forest Lodge in 1986. He has extensive experience in the Province of Essex at both Lodge level and Province. He was appointed a Provincial Grand Steward in 2002, Past Provincial Senior Grand Deacon in 2006 and PPGSwdB in 2015.
Laurence’s masonic career in Essex has been more than matched by that in Berkshire where he was made a Provincial Grand Steward in 2006 and Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies in 2010, chair of the Dark Blues in 2013 and then Provincial Senior Grand Warden in 2018.
Also, he is DC of Berkshire Provincial Grand Stewards Lodge 9381, founding Asst Secretary of Khalsa No. 9743, founding DC of Constructors’ Lodge No. 9947 and is acting Secretary of Lord Desborough Lodge No. 3200.
In Royal Arch, Laurence has had a more active career in his home province of Essex. He was MEZ of his mother chapter in 2005 and 2006, received the rank of Past Provincial Assistant Sojourner in 2011 and was promoted to PPDepGSwdB in 2017. In Berkshire, he is a member of Friendship & Care Chapter No. 8802 – having been MEZ in 2016.
Outside Freemasonry his family and business interests keep him very occupied. He has three children and became a grandfather in 2014. He is also a strong supporter of CLIC Sargent Charity – UK’s leading cancer charity for young people. He also restores classic cars – currently owning three MG sports cars.
Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies
Jim was born in 1964 in Northampton and is married to Francine. They have two children and live in Englefield Green, Surrey. Jim is a lifelong season ticket holder of Northampton Saints RFC, motorcyclist and keen fly-fisher. He is a Freeman of the City of London and a Liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Painter-Stainers.
Jim has a long successful career holding Executive positions in various Technology and software businesses.
Jim was invested as Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies in September 2018 by the RW Provincial Grand Master. His progress in Freemasonry is as follows:
- Initiated into Sutton Coldfield Lodge in the Province of Warwickshire in 1994 and was Master in 2004
- Joined Old Windsor Lodge in 2005, was Master in 2007 and is Lodge Mentor
- Provincial Honours as Provincial Grand Steward in 2009 & joined Berkshire Provincial Grand Stewards Lodge where he is Director of Ceremonies
- Provincial Honours as Past Provincial Junior Grand Deacon in Warwickshire in 2010
- Exalted into Windsor Castle Chapter in 2005 and was 1st Principal in 2013
- Joined Berkshire Masters in 2013
- Advanced in Cranley Lodge of Mark Master Masons in 2013
- Promoted to Provincial Deputy Grand Director of Ceremonies 2013
- Provincial Principal Grand Sojourner 2016
- Past Grand Standard Bearer of UGLE 2018
- Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies 2018